- Rice enables a balanced diet and does not include fat. It is cholesterol and sodium free.
- Rice is a good source of vitamins and minerals such as thiamine, niacin, iron, riboflavin, vitamin D, calcium and fiber.
- Even car manufacturers are inspired by rice. Honda means ‘main rice field’ and Toyota means ‘ bountiful rice field.
- 500 million tonnes of rice is grown every year; Only two million tonnes of this is Basmati rice. (http://www.fao.org/worldfoodsituation/csdb/en/ )
- It takes 5000 litres of water to produce 1 kg of rice. (http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-karnataka/5000-litres-of-water-to-grow-1-kg-of-rice/article2613414.ece)
- Rice is a symbol of life and fertility, which is why it is a tradition to throw rice in weddings, in religious rituals like ‘havans’ and when a new bride crosses the threshold of her new home. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertility_symbol)
- Rice is cultivated in over 100 countries and in every continent except Antarctica. (http://www.irri.org/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=9081)
- The by products of rice are used for making straw, rope, paper, wine, crackers, beer, cosmetics, packing material and even toothpaste. (http://www.usriceproducers.com)
- Rice is the staple food for more than half of the world’s population, providing more than one fifth of the calories consumed worldwide by the human species. (http://www.irri.org/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=9081)